Image Map

Monday, July 30, 2007

Tom Snyder Dies

I know he wasn't a staple of our generation, but when my very first novel came out, Tom Snyder was the one big late night talk show host to give me a shot (for The Late Late Show). It was for The Tenth Justice. I was the second guest, and when I came out, Snyder seemed unimpressed (to be honest, I think I was filling in for someone who canceled, but they were too nice to say it). Yet by the time I was done, Snyder was laughing, enjoying stories of my mom and insane family. It mattered. Today, so many interviewers couldn't give a crap once they have their mind made up. Snyder listened. And when it was over and the camera was gone, he shook my hand and said, "That was funny." Like I said, it mattered. And still does.

1 comment:

Carol said...

"Our" generation? Ah, but you have fans in every generation, I'm sure -- including mine, which loved wacky Tom. Thanks for remembering him here.