Image Map

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bestseller List

I called my Mom first (my wife already pried it out of my publisher when they were trying to track me down). So I come out of the interview I was in, and get the news, and call my Mom, telling her The Book of Fate will be debuting at number 1 on the New York Times bestseller list.

My Mom starts sobbing, barely able to utter a word. And with her sobs come my own as the reality of it finally settles in. And in mid-sob, my voice cracks as I ask her, "Where are you?"

She chokes back her own tears and a sob and tells me, "Marshalls."

Of course my Mom's bargain hunting at Marshalls. Bet she bought some irregulars too. And that's why I love my mother--the one person who forever taught me to never ever ever ever change. For anyone.

Needless to say, this isn't just our victory. It's yours. All our friends and family and readers--you built this. When you bought those novels or took them out of the library or borrowed them, you built it.

And where did the publisher think the sudden push came from? Longtime readers who put the word out and comic readers who came over to the medium. That's right. You.

I've always said our longtime readers are the kindest and best. And having it in JLA 1 was one of the single most rewarding things I've ever been a part of. My publisher called it an experiment. It was never an experiment to me. It was a movement. A movement I'm so proud to be a small part of -- and a change from the snobbery that ranks thriller, mystery, and comic readers at the bottom of the literary pyramid.

If you're reading this, you're part of that same movement. So thank you -- for telling your mom and dad and family and friends and whoever else you called up and said, "You gotta read this book."

There's one name on the cover of every book, but only a fool thinks it's a one-person show. Thanks for being part of the show.

See you on the tour -- and of course, at Marshalls.

Much love and thanks,

Brad

6 comments:

sammy.the.k said...

congrats brad! i bought it cause of JLA!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your books for a long time and I'm really glad to hearing great news.

Justin Steiner said...

I've been meaning to check out your books for a while but having the first chapter in JLA is what spurred me to finally do it. I'm only about 150 pages in at the moment but I'm enjoying it so far. Looking forward to JLA #2 as well...

Anonymous said...

Brad, you never changed either (hairstyle aside).

Good job.

wordballoon said...

Brad, great seeing you in Winnetka, IL.

I'm already 60 pages in. My nephew and sister can't wait to read it too.

Looking forward to the rest of JLA,

John

Trish Ryan said...

Congratulations! I'm a new fan, having heard rave reviews about your books. I'm headed to your section of my local bookstore later this afternoon :)

And if I had any doubts, the fact that your Mom shops at Marshall's clinched it for me - bargain hunters, unite!